Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Using Damn Small Linux via PXE

I've recently been trying to configure my PXE server to have a live CentOS option and have been unable to add this to my existing PXE server. But I have added a Damn Small Linux option that seems to work well, except I cant get it to recognize SCSI disks. Recent release notes suggest that SCSI support was removed in DSL 4.3, so I downloaded DSL 4.2 and still could not get the drives to get recognized. I see the SCSI modules when I do a modprobe -l so maybe its just a matter of time before I insert the right module to get it working. If any one has any ideas as how to get SCSI drives working in DSL please let me know. The primary reason I want a "live" linux on my PXE server is for file recovery across the network. So this is a huge roadblock for me.


Anyways. To get DSL on your existing PXE server:

Download DSL: Im using dsl-4.4.10-initrd.iso and dsl-4.2-initrd.iso(for scsi)

Extract the iso:

mount -t iso9660 -o loop dsl-4.4.10-initrd.iso /iso

copy these to files to /tftpboot/dsl #create dsl directory first

cp /iso/boot/isolinux/linux24 /iso/boot/isolinux/minirt24.gz /tftpboot/dsl

add this line into your /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default


LABEL dsl
KERNEL dsl/linux24
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us vga=791 initrd=dsl/minirt24.gz quiet


you can add cheatcodes on the APPEND line as needed. Cheatcodes are located in the /iso/boot/isolinux directory as f2 f3

4 Comments:

Blogger Kastr0 said...

Thanks for the writeup very useful.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Pedro said...

I did an article on this based on your suggestion at:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/User_talk:Pguillem

Thankx!

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks!

2:22 PM  
Blogger greg said...

very nice, thank you. Any luck getting the CentOS Live to boot via PXE? I've been trying to get that to work too..

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home